Thursday, February 21, 2013

Because I HAD to Peck Something Out

Well, gee whiz! I was just looking at my blog and realized there was no entry yet for the year 2013. For shame! So I'm sitting here at my keyboard pecking *something* out...

I'm still here, still alive and kicking. 2013 has been good so far. I've lost a little weight, thanks to my mother getting me a great book called Eat To Live. There's lots of good information and recipes in there. Following this plan has tremendously helped with my depression, so the weight loss is just gravy :)

I haven't been "eating to live" for the last two weeks or so, though. While I haven't gained back any of my lost weight, depression has ceremoniously kicked my ass a time or two. Those days are HARD. Those are the days when I tell my husband, "Bring home Chinese food for dinner -- I ain't cooking. Or cleaning. Or generally acting like a human being." But rough days such as that are becoming far and few in between, especially when I eat clean. So life goes on, thankfully.

I have found myself missing my sweet friend, Chris Wilson, a lot lately. What a precious soul! I was able to spend some time with my friend Donnie (a/k/a Pookie) this month, and found that he'd been missing him too. I like to think that we notice Chris' absence most during the times when he's keeping an eye on us. Maybe that's why we sense him so much, because he's nearer. I do not claim to have the whole death-and-afterlife thing figured out, but I do believe that the veil is thin. And sometimes, and in some places, it is thinner than in others.

I have lots of blog posts cooking in my head -- a great new restaurant, a visit to the Buford Highway International Market, how the FDA bothers me, writers conferences -- so there will be more confessions from this ordinary person coming soon...

xoxo,
Melanie


2 comments:

  1. I love hearing your thoughts and the way you lay them out. I couldn't agree more about the veil. And I completely understand about the depression.
    Thank you for writing for us. :) -- Tyna

    ReplyDelete