Wednesday, October 17, 2012

"It" Is Part of Me

Depression is not my friend. I do not like It. It frustrates me, demotivates me, breaks me. It is a lens through which every single thing in my life looks either utterly urgent or completely pointless. I don't want It. I wish It away. But once It takes its abode, It must be endured, suffered, and with any luck, managed. It is like a bad marriage -- It lasts forever.

And yes, I call It "It," and I capitalize "It," because It is real. 

It is an actual entity with a life of its own. 

It is insidious and parasitic. 

It tells me how overwhelming every little thing in my life is. 

It is relentless.

And It isn't going anywhere.



I used to take prescription pills for It. They helped, they really did. I actually liked the pills. They kind of helped my brain to keep itself in check; helped me to sort out what was real and important, and what was not. They helped me to feel better most all the time. But coming off the pills...that was hard. A few years ago, when my brain was managing It really well, I gradually stopped taking the pills. There were several difficult, heart-wrenching weeks of withdrawals, but eventually I evened out and things were OK. 

"It" first came after I'd had my first child. When he was about 15 months old, I was diagnosed with "Depression and General Anxiety Disorder (GAD, depression's kissing cousin). Between my first and second children I took pills for a couple of years and then weaned myself off of them. My husband and I were aware that It could come back after our youngest was born, but we decided to try to manage It without the use of pills. Neither of us wanted to see me go through the withdrawals again. We decided together that I'd be better off dealing with a few "bad days" (more accurately, dealing with the bad days one day at a time) than to deal with years of numbing myself.

There is a wonderful scene in the movie "Garden State." The main character, Andrew, has been taking a plethora of antidepressants most of his life (his father is a psychiatrist and prescribes them). But Andrew tells his father that he's decided to stop taking all the pills and he talks about how he's tired of being numb, and he wants to feel however he feels and be whoever he is, and "that will be better." That is kind of where I am at the moment. I can't say that managing depression without medication is "better" all of the time. But I like *this* version of "better" better than the other. [If that makes any sense]

Although I no longer take prescription medication, I do take a supplement. My mother sent me this link: http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/best-natural-anti-depressants. It lists many things to consider when treating depression (like diet and exercise), and it tells of several over the counter supplements that can be taken. I chose 5-HTP. To be honest, I don't even exactly know what 5-HTP is. Its effects may be real and true, or it may have no more effect than a placebo, but I no longer feel like I'm spinning out of control, so I will continue to take it.

Sometimes, when someone finds out I have depression, they'll say something like, "Now hun, there's no need for you to be depressed. You have a lot going for you: a wonderful family, beautiful sons, a husband that loves you, and you're talented at so many things."


They mean well. Of course they mean well. But can you imagine saying all that to a cancer patient? Or a diabetic? Or someone with MS?


"Now hun, there's no need for you to have cancer..."








Right.








October is National Depression Awareness Month. When you encounter someone who is hesitant to smile, who sees their glass half empty, who appears lazy...be slow to judge. You never know what heavy load someone is carrying, or whether that load is not something they've picked up at all, but a medical condition that weighs on them.

Depression is part of me. It is a permanent resident. That's the thing about It -- there is no cure. It has to be managed, which is often times easier said than done, although management truly is possible. I have glimpsed those moments, and I would like more of them. It takes a lot of work though. For those of us who have depression, our perceptions and feelings color everything we do and everyone we come into contact with. We walk a fine line between eggshells and hot coals every minute of every day. It's exhausting. I have to perpetually make the choice either to be adversely affected by whatever life brings me, or to proactively affect what happens in my life. While I can't say that I succeed at being proactive every single day, I hope that with time, I will learn to endure toward health and choose to soak up happiness, and to have the strength to look "It" head-on in the face and say, "You are not welcome here, and you can't sit with me." 

~Dum spiro spero~
Latin, "While I breathe, I hope."




 

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this memy! It's hard to talk about depression--and it does kind of suck when people say "Well you have no reason to be sad... why are you so sad?" or "Well, just don't be sad," like it's a switch one can turn on and off. Please.

    You know I was severely depressed when I was younger (and I am grateful for the love and care you and everyone else gave to me during that time even though I was hard to deal with), then I got better for a while and managed through high-school but it hit me again when I was about 20-21. Fortunately, by that point I knew exactly what I needed to do--I had to start finding my coping skills again. So, I started exercising more and writing in my journal every single day. I even went to the doctor and got on a low dose of anti-depressants for a while; but I didn't stay on them for more than a year.

    Coping skills are the most important; it's the one thing I'm most thankful for having learned from the psychiatrists I saw when I was a teenager. And it seems so obvious, but when you're depressed it takes work to identify ways to cope and discover what makes you feel good. For me, working out (biking, running, going to the gym) has always made me feel good. Even now I make myself go for a short run on days when I have a killer headache or feel stressed and tense because I know that after a short time those aches and stresses will dissipate! Writing, like I mentioned above, has also always helped me. I wrote prolifically in journals through high-school and into college. That writing eventually turned into a combination of writing and sketching and that's why I keep sketch books nearby today. It's an on-going thing.

    I feel happy and content now, but I do have to keep myself busy. If I just sit around watching TV on the weekend I will get really depressed. This is why I've always got some project going on or at least a good book to read... but I can't just sit there, I have to feel productive. I have to be learning, creating, or moving to be happy.

    I think talking about depression is helpful, confronting it and claiming it is a sign of strength and I admire you for putting this out there! Just always be conscious of what makes you happy and carve out your path so that you can have time to do those things :)

    Love, Bee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sweet Bee! Coping skills is something I might have mentioned when I wrote this -- I didn't think of it at the time. You are right about putting those to use. Depression really is all about coping. I'm glad you know yourself well enough to know what works for you. You've had a LONG journey. And you've come a long way, baby! :) I need to do as you do and stay busy. You'd think two kids would keep me busy enough, but...no. I think that's why I so ADORED being a college student. Every hour of every day was planned out for me, and I seemed to thrive that way. I need to be more diligent about that in my life the way it is now. Thanks for that reminder. Love you.

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, Mel...I have yet another newfound respect for you. I have suffered on and off throughout college and beyond with depression. I have taken a few different drugs for it. I take lexapro now. The lowest dosage. I have, and AM learning to surround myself with non-triggers (in my case some of my family, which tended to be poison). As sad as it is to say that, I am much less anxious and feel much less depressed. Coping skills aren't developed overnight, but your heart and mind want to cope...so I am finding that after removing myself from a few situations, my body has already begun the process of building those coping skills.

    You were always a heck of a sweet lady, and although I hate to see someone else go through this terrible disease called depression, I am glad that you are strong enough to speak about it. We need more people like you. Much love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jerrold, you sweet thing! I have mutual respect for you -- always have. Lexapro was a huge help to me in the beginning. And if it works for you, then by gosh, take it. I know what I wrote was kind of anti-drug, but I would never tell someone to stop taking meds, or to never start. Prescription drugs certainly do have their place. They're just not right for me at this time. You are right -- your heart and mind really DO want to cope. You'd think the body would simply follow, but it doesn't. I still have to make a concerted effort to move -- to exercise, to get out of bed, to get off the couch. I hope my body will find a new setting for "autopilot." But practice makes perfect, hmm? Best of luck to you as you deal with It. Know I'm rooting for you. And thank you for all the kind words. XOXO

      Delete
  3. Wonderfully written Melanie! I think if everyone were honest, we all suffer from depression at some point in our lives. For some, it is more severe. I am a very emotional, somewhat introverted person and have days where sadness and loneliness invade my brain. Its hard to push it away and try to gain perspective. I loved your statement about letting IT adversely affect you or chosing to proactively affect IT. But I would rather be the person I am, feeling all the emotions that roller coaster thru my brain, than be someone who plasters a smile across their face and acts like everything in their life is perfect. FB doesnt help either!!! I get so caught up in everyone else "perfect" life that it triggers IT!! I have to constantly remind myself that I am seeing their highlight reel not the entire story! So thanks Melanie for discussing IT...and I didnt even notice your typo! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, I fixed that typo the second I noticed it! :) I think you're right that everyone can claim depression at some point or another in their lives. It zaps your energy and perspective (I love that you mentioned perspective!) like nothing else can. And don't get me started on FB-ing, especially during an election year -- good grief! Talk about a depression and anxiety trigger! I'm probably on FB WAY too much as it is. You have to take it with a grain of salt and don't let it all sink in "too" deeply. I hope you can continue to push away the negative thoughts that creep in from time to time. It is good to be "who you are" whether through good or bad. One can't exist without the other. We just have to try to dwell in the good, rather than vice versa.

      Delete
    2. And thank you for the kind words, Nikki!

      Delete
  4. This is beautifully written. I have a very dear friend who struggles daily with severe bipolar disorder. It is a demon, and she HAS to stay medicated to keep the demon at bay. Last year I experienced depression for the first time, and It scared the heck out of me. Being stressed with college, and having too much on my plate at one time was apparently what drove me to It. It took control of my emotions, and I didn't like where It took them to. I almost had a nervous breakdown. I currently take Citalopram and Buspar. My hope is to come off the meds when I finish school (this year, Yay!). I have learned from it too. I now know how much my plate will hold and I refuse to place more on it than that. My bipolar friend is full of wisdom and heartfelt understanding, and it's nice to have someone who gets it. I am glad you are doing well. Thanks for giving It a name and a voice. It is ugly, and we usually try to hide the ugly things, but It needs to be known by all. Because those who don't have It are highly likely to know someone who does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! CONGRATULATIONS on being so close to finishing school! I know you've worked hard. Mental and emotional conditions really do stink. I must applaud you for recognizng that you needed help and got some. In the past, when I'd hear that someone had depression, I had little sympathy for them. I thought they didn't need medication, but instead needed to learn how to deal with a bad day once in a while. Boy, was I wrong! Depression can really break a person down physically, mentally and emotionally. I'm glad you found medicine that works for you. I'm also glad you read this and were able to relate. Good luck to you, sweetie!

      Delete